CHOCOLATE CAKE 18+
This recipe comes from the city of Ferrara in Italy and it was passed to me by my dear friend Simona who attended university there.
The italian name is Torta Tenerina, “soft cake”. Inside it is softer if compared to the more famous brownies and its crust is nice and chewy.
I added chili pepper and rum to the original recipe , that’s why I called it 18+: not much for children… But you can avoid them and it becomes perfect for a kids party too.
I think rum is chocolate’s best friend and I love how the chili spices it up!
As you see from the photos, for this recipe you need a mixer.
Speaking about photos… in the first one you see a whole chili: that was for the composition design but in the recipe you will use the flakes.
- 5 eggs
- 150g butter
- 100g + 50g sugar
- 200g dark chocolate (75%)
- 1 teaspoon potato starch
- 25ml dark rum
- 4 teaspoons hot pepper flakes
- 1 pinch salt
- 70ml milk
- Icing sugar as needed
- Clean surface areas and get your ingredients nice and ready.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Put baking sheet on baking tray.
- Crush the chocolate in little pieces and melt it in bain-marie. Add the butter and melt together gently, without boiling. Add hot pepper flakes.
- Divide yolks from egg whites. Beat the yolks a little bit and then blend in 100g of sugar, the potato starch and salt.
- Beat the egg whites, slowly at the beginning. Add 50g of sugar and beat for another little bit.
- When chocolate mix is not hot anymore add it to the egg yolks mix. Add rum and if the mixture is not soft enough add the milk.
- Very gently include egg white in chocolate and egg mixture, 3 spoons at the time, turning softly from down to up.
- Pour into tray previously covered with a baking sheet.
- Bake in 180°C hot oven for 20 minutes. The top crust should break.
- Cover with icing sugar.
- Sugar is added to stabilize the whipped egg foam: add it slowly at the side of the bowl while the whites are being whipped. Sugar pulls the water from the structure and allows it to hold its shape better.
Serve the cake in squares adding icing sugar on top.