Everybody knows potatoes cooked in the oven, of course… But here I am talking about the best guaranteed oven potatoes! With few tricks you can prepare delicious potatoes that look yummy and are yummy. If you are cooking for kids that are used to eat pommes frites then call them Pommes Frites to get them excited and they will learn to love them more then the heavier and less healthy recipe for potatoes.
Also take note of this recipe for your last-minute-guests-for-dinner…
The first secret is to use aglio vestito, “dressed garlic” that is the cloves of garlic with their skin on. They will release their scent and aroma but you won’t feel them during digestion. They are also so good that I often have guests eating them, the flavour is definitely milder and enjoyable.
The second secret is to boil the potatoes, already cut into cubes, for 5 minutes before putting them in the oven. This will allow the potatoes to make a nice crunchy-licious crust!
Another tip is to use good old potatoes, I mean those potatoes that look like they came from the ground! I think that in Switzerland the main supermarkets don’t have nice potatoes! But I live in a farm and it’s easy for me as the potatoes I get from Köbi the farmer are great! But if you live in Switzerland you probably have a nearby Hofladen, where you can buy potatoes directly from the farm. Check here for your nearest hofladen!
- 1Kg Potatoes
- 4 Rosemary branches
- 6 Garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons EVO Oil
- 4 piches Salt
- Turn oven on 180°C
- Put pot of water (and some salt) on the stove
- Peel potatoes
- Cut them into cubes (the size depends on how fast you want to be...)
- Put cubes into boiling water for 4-5 minutes (depending on size)
- Take oven tray and cover it with oven paper
- Put rosemary branches and garlic cloves on tray
- Drain potatoes
- Spread them out on tray and leave them cooling down for 10 minutes
- Spread everything with oil and salt (if you use your hands it's easier to evenly coat the potatoes with the oil)
- Put in oven for a total of 30 minutes. At minute 15 and minute 25 take tray out and with a big spoon mix the potatoes so that they cook on all sides.
- My favourite potatoes are the big, old, dirty ones. They are also easier to peel and cut into cubes.
- If you have little baby potatoes, like in these photos, you can keep the skin, just brush them well while washing them.
- You can replace or mix the potatoes with sweet potatoes and/or pumpkin.... mmmmh!