SPONGY CARROT CAKE
And finally I stumbled in the perfect recipe…!
And it’s my favourite not only because it’s the best but also because it couldn’t be faster…
The measurements are in american cups and spoons, and this makes it very easy as you fill the cups up and then just empty them in the bowl…
There is no egg to beat, no cream to whip and no mistakes to possibly do.
I find it good also because it is lighter than a normal cake because there is oil instead of butter.
It was given to me by Eileen, who, few years after, ate it at my house and asked me for the recipe back…
Here it is.
The only work you have to do it is at the beginning when you crush (with a mixer) the carrots and the pineapple slices (these ones out of a can).
Then it is just a matter of putting ingredients together and mix them (I do this with the mixer).
I am also putting here the recipe for a very good, easy and not heavy icing.
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil (180ml)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (for swiss: 150g quark)
- 2 cups sugar (430g)
- 2 cups white flour (240g)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (not baking powder!)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crushed pineapple (use a can of 547g with liquid)
- 2 cups grated carrot (260g)
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut (100g)
- Clean surface areas and get your ingredients nice and ready.
- Cut the carrots and blend them.
- Take pineapple slices out of their can. Cut roughly in pieces and blend for little time. Squeeze a little bit the water out of the crushed pineapple.
- In electric mixer beat eggs, oil, buttermilk and sugar until blended.
- Add flour, soda, cinnamon and salt and blend together.
- Mix in pineapple, carrots and coconut.
- Pour in 23cm diameter cake tin.
- Bake at 180°C for 55 minutes - 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Turn oven off but leave the cake inside. Put an oven glove to keep the door slightly open. In this way the cake will dry a bit more in the inside.
- 250g Mascarpone
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 30g icing sugar
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Leave in the fridge for at least 15 minutes until smooth and firm.
- Spread evenly just before serving.